Tuesday, October 12, 2010

EEEK! I think they expect me to know something

So yesterday was my first day at school.  My Korean co-teacher picked my nephew A'Drayis and I up at 8:30 in the morning to take me to the hospital to get poked and prodded for my medical clearance.  Then he drove us to a huge multilevel department store called Lotte Mart so that I could purchase a converter and whatever else I needed.  I feel like I have already spent too much money in this country for a person who won't get paid until november so I just got the converter.  After we dropped that off at my apartment, which I still don't understand why we did, we drove on to the school. 
Gayang Elementary is a cute little couple of buildings high on a hill surrounded by mountains.  It has a faculty of 11 including the Principal and Vice Principal and a staff of about the same.  The students total  90.  The school bell sounds like the ice cream truck has just pulled up in front of your house and the children couldn't be cuter or happier about seeing the new English teacher.  Being in such a small school there is no dedicated English room so I share with the science teacher who also happens to be my co-teacher.  This is just great because it is the most modern room in the school being as it was just remolded last week, and then Jong Hyun(my co) went and installed his own wifi, I love this guy.  When the class is in use for science I chill in the teachers lounge and surf the net, read, play the sims(haven't had a chance to do that one yet) or plan my lessons.  We eat lunch at 12:30 with the students and we get 50 minutes.  Now I have eaten lunch here for two days and ummm...hmmm...well...what can I say.  I definitely won't be gaining any wait overeating the lunches.  Now, please don't misunderstand.  they aren't terrible.  Today the cucumber kimchi was quite tasty and so were the noodles but...well...hmm...
Let's move on.  Yesterday I had no classes, neither did my co-teacher.  I guess we had the day off to acquaint me with the staff and schedule and such.  So for most of the day Dray played the Sims3 and I did not much of anything really.  I attempted to make some form of schedule, but not knowing the students or their levels or even what the school expected me to accomplish with them or even what they have been doing in the absence of a native English teacher made this all quite difficult.  Or as some say, impossible.  I would like to say that today I got a better feel of what the school expects or the student's levels but hey that would be lying and why would I do that in my own blog.  Today what I learned is that I don't know what I should be doing.  And that I don't think they do either.  I think my problem is that I may be overthinking my role, or at least my job duties.  I introduced myself and read two stories to the 2nd graders today and the teacher seemed just pleased with that, while I was thinking "seriously, that's all you want?"  And if I was expecting things to get any clearer where my "regular" classes (the older grades done with my co-teacher) are concerened then I was once again mistaken.  Our planning for tomorrow, when I have the first of those classes, consisted of "Tomirika, I will teach the first 20 minutes and you can teach the last 20 minutes."  When I inquired as to what he would be teaching tomorrow he said that "he has been using a computer program since I wasn't here but now that I am the lessons should go much better." HUH?  After a few more probing questions I went to get another miniature cup of the world's best just empty the pack in hot water coffee, and decided I'll just have to wing it.  Starbucks VIA has nothing on this stuff.  My after school program kids were a trip.  The first group was too shy to talk and the second group was taken from two to one when one student went home sick.  Then the kid left standing was not only a hoot and a holler to talk to but when I asked him what he wanted to talk about next week ( so you know I could actually plan a lesson for once) he said he wanted me to give him a quiz, a BIG quiz.  What is in the water here?  Well my first real teaching day is wrapping up and I am getting ready to take the bus home for the first time.  Apparently the Principal rides the same bus as me.  Go figure.
Well I told you last time that I would post a video of my apartment and I did get the apartment but I can't seem to upload it.  I will try and figure it and in the mean time I will also try putting it on facebook and youtube.
Okay, so that's my entry for the day I hope you enjoyed and learned something new.

Korean Trivia#2: A conversation between Koreans nearly always sounds like an argument.  The more people involved in the conversation the more violent the argument becomes.  This is the same if they are debating international politics or simply commenting on last nights chicken dinner.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Wow, thats a crazy day, but i'm so glad your keeping up with your post! Now, post some pictures!!! They should be much easier to upload than the vids...... anyways, perhaps your school is extremely laid back, and if thats the case, your going to have the BEST YEAR EVER!!!! But just make sure you are clear on what your role is supposed to be in the classroom- but I know you- you will do your best! I love you and miss you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures coming soon. I was going to post a pic heavy blog today mostly about school stuff but, guess where my camera and therefore my memory card is? That's right, not here at school with me. My best guess is on my desk at home where I left it last night. So that's now for tomorrow or ne il in Korean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice video, very small apartment but cozy

    ReplyDelete