Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Snapshot of my School

Okay, so I promised some pics and so that is what this post shall be about.  I do not have a lot of pictures yet because I am simply not one of those people who walks around with their camera looking at everything through the lense and snapping off shots every 30 seconds.  I find that I see things better when I am freely looking around and really paying attention, not just trying to find a good shot.  I understand that from the viewpoint of whoever may be reading this blog that might sound selfish, but hey all I can say is that I will try.  Now on to some of the things I have taken pics of.
This picture really has nothing to do with Korea except for the fact that this is what A'Drayis and I were wearing when we arrived.  I have no idea why the young man insisted on dressing like me but he cried so hard when I asked him to change that I let be.  I mean I am totally fab and have great fashion sense as you all know so I guess it is to be expected.
When I come in to school in the morning, as you do in all korean residences, school and many restaurants and places of service, I take of my shoes and put them in the little cupboard with last years native English teachers name.  My name has not replaced hers yet.
 Then I put on these cute little slipper pumps.  The are quite comfy and cute but they just barely fit as my feet are at the very end of the sizing scale in Korea.
 This man holding up the peace sign, which all koreans seem wont to do in photos, is Jong Hyun Park or Park Jong Hyun.  He is the science teacher and my korean co-teacher.
 This is my desk area in the infirmary that has been turned into my office since there is no school nurse.  I only get interupted if someone gets hurt and needs to come in with their teacher for medical attention, or when children come begging for candy.
 Put pic of science room here.
This cute litte thing is a Korean school bus.  It is smalleer, has comfier seats and a sleeker design but other than that it is a regualer old yellow school bus.

This is a typical Korean school lunch.  Everyday there is rice(bottom left), which sometimes has different things in it, but most days is plain white.  There is also some type of soup(bottom right) everyday.  This one I think has tofu and seaweed(or some other green plan) in it.  Kimchi(top left) is also another staple for every korean meal. Kimchi comes in many varieties and this is cucumber kimchi, which is my favorite.  The next item up (top middle) it the meat dish of the day wich is chicken in some kind of sauce with some kind of translucent stringy things that I was told come from sweet potatoes.  And in the last compartment(top right) is the days vegetable which today seems to be lettuce and cabbage pieces in a vinegar liquid.  You should see the kids devour this stuff like it was hamburgers and french fries.

There you go, some pics from school, I will try and post more soon, so keep a look out. 

Korean Trivia #4: Internet Cafes here are know as PC bangs, literally PC rooms.  They charge pretty cheaply by the hour and are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They not only allow food and beverages but they sell a large selection of snacks including several type of noodle bowls, coffe, soda and chips.  Because of the cheap price and the huge comfy computer chairs, people have been known to sleep in them in the larger cities instead of getting a hotel room.  I even saw someone snoozing at his station in my small town the second time I visited my favortie PC bang. 


3 comments:

  1. It looks like a nice place to work, although I would have trouble with the pumps if your feet just barely fit in them. That food does not look all that appetizing, but if the kids like it - I aint mad at them. Why do you and Dray look like twins (or nerds)? Your co-teacher is kinda cute, for a Korean. Love you most and miss you more, Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, they would think my feet are HUGE if your feet are at the end of the sizing scale!!!! That's so crazy! But knowingly, Asians have extremely small feet, as they are very petite people. The pic of you and Dray in matching sweaters is priceless- you should definitely print this out and frame it. Too cute!! I miss you... and love you tons. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what an adventurous eater you are. For all my travelling and growing up overseas, I don't dare take on foods the way you do.

    ReplyDelete